There are many things Canadians can be grateful for (too
many to list!) but what tops my chart has got to be Maple Syrup. To be clear, I
ain’t talking about the Aunt Jemima syrup sauce commonly found at lousy
breakfast joints, I am talking about the real stuff. Maple syrup
is just so quintessentially Canadian, just like beer or hockey or even our
favorite filler word, “eh”. But, unlike those other things maple syrup can be
poured on almost anything, baked or cooked in almost anything, and is enjoyable
in any form, from liquid to solid state! I mean what kid doesn't love liquid
sugar, this is actually Max's preferred food choice (along with honey, maple
syrup is basically nitro fuel for kids, so portion judiciously and it's best
used in conjunction with outdoor activity) but the truly neat thing about maple
syrup is the simplicity in its origin, extraction, and processing. The Sugar
Maple sap is taken straight from tree (no additives! No filler! No surprises!),
boil it down (preferably over an open fire pit outside for the full experience)
and voila, a wonderfully delicious treat. This beautifully simple process
connects us with our Canadian heritage and thus lends itself to an adventure in
time travel, back to a time of fur trading and confusing territories like Upper
and Lower Canada!
For the last two years we’ve taken Max to Bronte Park's
March break Maple Syrup Festival. Here he gets to see how the stuff was
originally made by the settlers (who were taught by the indigenous people) and
also enjoy other things like eating frozen and candied maple syrup and of
course, spending some time checking out the farm animals. Dixon will be old
enough to enjoy the spoils of the day but Max is at that perfect age where his
imagination runs rampant (will be in overdrive due to maple
syrup) and I can’t wait for the Spanish inquisition (because three year
olds ask the funniest things!) coming my way when he sees the full costumed
actors tapping trees and boiling the sap.
If you’re not lucky enough to be heading off to some warm
and sunny southern destination for March break, and you are looking for
something to do during the week off, then this is a great activity for the
family because you spend the day outside, learn a little about our unique
history and also enjoy a sweet treat (or several…) And for the really
courageous, and assuming you have the right trees on your property, you
can make maple syrup yourself - check out this website for everything you need to know.
![]() |
| Bronte Park Maple Syrup Festival March 2015 |

Definitely want to check this place out! I've made some maple syrup with my uncle before at his cabin up in Onaway, Mi. Its takes a lot just to make the syrup, but it's totally worth it!
ReplyDeleteSounds like your family has an annual tradition in the making. What a great way for Dixon and Max to learn how incredible nature is. Have fun!
ReplyDeleteSounds delish! I had no idea there was a festival for maple syrup. Thanks for sharing!
ReplyDeleteIt is awesome to hear about some of your cultures in Canada! I love syrup and if I could, I would eat it with everything! The Bronte Park Maple Syrup Festival sounds like a very exciting day out for the family!:)
ReplyDeleteSounds like a great festival, it definitely has my mouth watering! I don't know if I've ever had the pleasure of having real maple syrup but it is something on my list of things to try now.
ReplyDeleteThis sound delicious. Ever since being pregnant I love pancake and syrup even more. I will definitely keep this in mind for next year.
ReplyDelete